Map of our Adventure

Map of our Adventure

Day 6 - Thursday December 12, 2013 – Caletas Reserve, Costa Rico



It was another lovely day in Costa Rica.  I went to bed at midnight as the ship was anchored.  I kind of missed the rock and rolling.  We had sailed around the Osa peninsula and were anchored at Caletas reserve.  This reserve is one of many privately owned properties surrounding national parks as protected areas.

Breakfast was the usual buffet.  Today's special was French toast made from the homemade raisin bread from yesterday.  It was awesome!  They also had scrambled eggs with mushrooms.

At 8:30 we started the lineup to get on the zodiacs to head to Caletas.  Eleven people went horseback riding for 2 hours along the beach and into a bit of the forest.  They had to pay $35 for that.  Others went on a long hike, and the rest of us hung out around the owners’ home and grounds.  There was a large pavilion with picnic tables for those that wanted to rest. 

The zodiac landing was a little trickier today because of the serf.  We had to pull back a few times in order not to dump everyone in the drink, but we finally made it in.  

I was in Jose's group that wandered around the grounds.  I loved this trip because it gave a big dividend for a small investment in energy.  Right off the bat we saw a tiger heron on an open branch.  There were large mango trees around that looked a lot like live oaks.  Then we spotted a Jesus lizard on a branch.  It took me a while to find it, and it was right in front of me.  

There were lots of leaf-eating ants around, and they are so fascinating to watch.  One group we followed down a huge tree, onto the ground, and way up into the woods.  The column is narrow - one way going back to the nest with leaves, and those going back to the tree to get more.  I also saw a blue morpho butterfly off in the distance, but that was the only one I saw.

I also spotted a tiny land crab up hiding up against a branch.  I was so glad to see one.  They also call them Halloween crabs because they have purple bodies and orange appendages.  I was told they rarely come out before dusk, and even though this was a small one, I was thrilled to at least see one.

We all heard a pair of macaws come and land in a tall almond palm tree, so we hurried over there.  They love the seeds of this non-indigenous tree.  They played hide and seek with us until finally I got a really amazing shot of one of them.  

I saw another berbina bush (Jose identified it for me).  This one had blue flowers and the one I saw yesterday at Casa Orchidea were red.  It was a lovely 2 hours.

Bill had been with another group and had seen some different things.  We were on the first boat back, and we were ready for some air-conditioning.  Everyone was back by noon.

Lunch was served at 12:30.  We had chicken chorizo and lentil soup.  It was a tomato base soup and was quite good.  We were served family style and had turkey and cheese sandwiches on focaccia bread.  For dessert we had ice cream sundaes.  It is amazing how grown people become little kids when presented with ice cream!!

I had hemmed and hawed as to whether I wanted to do the afternoon activity.  Each day seems filled with 2 days worth of stuff.  The option this afternoon was a landing on Corcovado National Park with a 2 mile hike that was rather rough - muddy, lots of roots, up and down.  At the end was a waterfall with an opportunity to swim.  

I decided I wanted the option to sit back, put my feet up, start the nightly email, stay cool, get some ship photos with no one (almost) on board.  Bill did do the hike since he is not doing tomorrow morning's hike at Manuel Antonio Park since we had done it in March.  I loved that hike, so I am going to do it tomorrow.

I took a shower and got cleaned up before Bill got in at 5.  It was an interesting walk for him and 30 other people that did the walk to the waterfalls.  The guy that had gotten sick on Sunday fell down in front of Bill.  He was okay, but I can't believe that at 82 and with the other problems he had that he actually walked again.  They didn't see anything that we didn't see this morning, so I am glad I stayed on the ship.

At 6 we had the usual social hour with cheese, fruit, and tonight the hors d'ouvres was "cheese puff'.  It was a puff pastry ball with cheese in the dough.  The staff gave a quick recap, talked about what was on for tomorrow.  Then Patrick the young video chronicler gave a short preview of the DVD that he is creating of our week.  It is really good so far, and we will buy one to bring home for $50.

We went in to dinner at 7:10.  The salad was greens with oranges, almonds, onions, and oven roasted tomatoes. We had a choice of lamb, local lenguado (like halibet), and a vegetarian stuffed portabello mushroom.  Bill had a steak which is always an option.  I got the fish option, and it was amazing.  It was served with spicy grits and Brussels sprouts.  

After dinner, dessert (cheesecake with fruit compote) was served in the lounge.  We had an Argentina couple sing and entertain.  We were anchored near Caletas, so they just boated over for the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment